(Photo Credit: Getty Images)
According to TheKitchn.com here is what you need to do to keep the flies away from your home and your food during cookouts and picnics.
- Eliminate the breeding grounds - Dr. Gabrielle Francis, a naturopathic doctor says “flies breed in decaying fruit and veggies, compost and manure." So keep your outdoor trash cans far from your patio and keep them closed. And if you have a vegetable garden, pick the ripe ones and set up your eating area farther from the garden.
- Set up some fans - Wind poses a problem for flies, they just don’t have skills to fly well in a draft, so put out some fans and let the breeze cool you while keeping flies at bay.
- Make an herbal centerpiece - Some herbs with essential oils repel flies naturally, plus they look pretty in a jar. Fill a vase with a mix of basil, lavender, lemongrass, rosemary, or mint for a fragrant fly-repellent.
- Wear natural bug repellents - Those same essential oils will keep bugs off you, so look for a natural product containing lavender, rosemary, mint, and basil.
- Hide the drinks - Flies like sugary and yeasty things, so beer, wine, and soda draw them in. But using cups with lids and wiping up spills right away can help keep them away.