(Photo Credit: Getty Images)
The American Society for Microbiology just had its annual meeting in Atlanta and a study was presented that found it's very possible to get food poisoning from your kitchen towels.
Researchers looked at 100 towels after they'd been used for one month. And half of them had a potentially dangerous level of bacteria on them.
The odds were even higher depending on different factors, like how many people used the towels and if they were used for drying hands and dishes. When used for both, that increased the amount of bacteria present.
One way to lower your risk is to wash your hands longer (at least 20 seconds with hot water). That way there's not as much leftover bacteria when you dry them off on a towel. So less bacteria transfers to the towel.
So basically we all just need to wash our kitchen towels more!